Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Unexpected Surprise
We came home yesterday and found a package in the mail for the 3 kids from my father. It was very unexpected. You see, I have only visited with my father 2 times in about 25 years. It's a very long story, but he and my mother separated then divorced when I was 6 yrs. old. I had very limited interaction with him, and what we did have, was tumultuous. I didn't see him at all after I was 11 yrs. old until Thanksgiving 2 yrs. ago. He came to visit and stay with us from Oregon. He came again in June of this year, and was actually here for my birthday, although he didn't plan it that way. Also, it just so happened, that he was here the same time we were moving into our new house, so during all the chaos, he actually helped with a LOT of the heavy lifting, but with absolutely no grumbling about it. But after he left in early June, I hadn't heard from him since. (I can't call him since he has no phone of his own and I never know where he is.....) So, with this little background, you might imagine why I was so surprised by this unexpected event. It turns out he was so thoughtful, though. I want to quote the note that he sent along with the package because it struck me as so endearingly thoughtful, yet funny too. "Call it early Christmas or B days, or just hello--or gifts thinking of you. Love ya all, & P.S. You boys help Dad with the home work and your school. P.S.S. Some things for Mom's quiet refuge: the BATH!! with kids knocking at the door." He sent money for the boys, and the most beautiful beaded purse for B, but he included some surprises for me, too. There were several Burt's Bees products, as well as some handmade Oregon Lavender soap! It smells so good; the scent was permeating the box it was packaged in. How cool is that? My consolation prize for missing the soap-making class I was scheduled to attend until it was cancelled and then on-again before I even knew about the rescheduling. Anyway, I was tickled pink. He did call later the same day, so we all got to say our "thank you's". It's still kind of weird, though, because even though he's my father, I don't have any warm, fuzzy feelings for him. He pretty much abandoned me and my sister, for my entire life, and the father-daughter closeness does not blossom overnight. I think he's starting to understand that, but it was weird and kind of strained when he did visit. It's even harder to explain all this to my kids. They can't fathom the kind of childhood I had. It's like nothing they have ever experienced. Even my hubby doesn't understand fully even though he tries.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't know about that story! That is SO neat. I love your blog btw, you did a fantastic job. I am VERY impressed. Maybe I should have you fix up mine. :)
Post a Comment