
Our family's pet population is exploding. We just got 2000 new pets. What are they, you ask? Why, worms, of course! Working worms. They're composting our way to a better blueberry field, hopefully healthier, happier, bug-free plants! We are having serious discussions about whether we should go organic or not. Organic is healthier, yes, but will it result in good fruit? I've always admired organic produce, but have heard it's very hard to do successfully. So, we got the Can-O-Worms composting condo and we're trying it out. Here are pictures of us setting it up. It comes from Australia, of all places!! (They are light-years ahead of us here in the states for their "green" philosophy and practices.) The starter bedding the condo comes with is dried up coconut fiber. You have to add a LOT of water to get the small hard brick to expand sufficiently.
This picture of B with the worm cracks me up. She thinks that she needs to personally touch every single one and tell them each how much we love them. Then I remember that I had a fascination with worms when I was just 4 or 5 yrs. old. I can remember digging worms up in our garden when I was very small. They were my "friends".

4 comments:
Good for you to have gotten the worms. I find them fascinating. Hope it goes well.
I think that is exciting! I must be a homeschool mom.
Go worms! Go worms! I miss my worm compost bin - got to get another one started sometime. Tell B that I personally rescued all the worms I possibly could from our first bin. I didn't have the balance right and the bedding was a putrefying, stinking, terrible mess. I found many worms curled up in egg shells - trying to escape certain death, I think! YUK!!
Melissa, did you do the worm composting in New Zealand? Did you figure out what went wrong with it? Do tell!
Post a Comment