Monday, November 26, 2007

Major Progress in Reading

We are celebrating today! As some of you know, our oldest son had some major difficulties learning to read. We discovered that he had some intolerance to both gluten and casein (milk protein) about 1 year ago. Once those were removed, he started to read by leaps and bounds. We were quite excited to find him reading at 2nd grade level, 3rd month at the end of May 2007. I just now had him take the same reading test online, and he tested at 4th grade, 3rd month. That means he progressed 2 whole grade levels in 6 months!! This also means that H is so close to being on track with his reading level, since he is in the 4th grade based on his age (when birthday fell, etc.). I am so excited I have tears in my eyes again as I write this. I cannot tell you how hard H has worked for this and I am so proud of him. Now we just have to work on his confidence and his endurance when it comes to reading. But it is major progress. We didn't forget to pray our Thanks to God, because He definitely helped us through the rough times with all this. There were many times we prayed 3 or 4 times just to get through a reading lesson. I am so excited, and we can't wait to tell hubby/dad when he gets home. He knows we have been working hard to catch H up to grade level. Thanks for sharing our joy at this good news.

Also, a little follow-up to H's goal to finish his math book by tomorrow. He is on track! He only has 15 math pages left to finish the whole book. He did 26 pages today so he would be "ahead" of schedule. It's wonderful to see him taking more initiative in his own learning.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! Congratulations, Hunter!! (and way to go, Mom, too!) That is incredible progress. I know it must feel so good. :o)
L-What online test did you use?

Melissa said...

Well done, Hunter!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Yippee!

That's fantastic!!!

5Gustos said...

Well, go to www.readingkey.com You should see up in the top right hand corner, "Free Trial". On that page, scroll down to the "Quick Links" section. Click on "Single User Reading Test". That should do it. The site is set up to get you to purchase a membership, but I haven't. They let me do a free test in May, and again now. I don't know if there is a limit to the free tests or not. In May, I tested C also.

oneblessedmamma said...

That's so exciting! I'm thrilled things have really come together for him.

Randi Sue said...

That is amazing! I know it represents quite a bit of hard work on your part and H's.

I am rejoicing with you!

Steph C. said...

Fantastic, that is wonderful! Isn't it amazing how much nutrition is linked to SO MANY THINGS? Glad you were able to figure this one out. Blessings!

Leisa said...

I am so happy for you. Maddy has struggled with reading and is still behind her grade level. So I know the frustrations and joys when the accomplish a major leap. Good Job Hunter!!

Anonymous said...

Was wondering how you found about about the food intolerances. I have a son with reading issues (and health issues: headaches, eczema, etc.)-I've always thought these things were unrelated. Perhaps there's an intolerance involved. Haven't been following your blog for long-maybe you've mentioned elsewhere. Any tips for checking this out will help! Thanks!

5Gustos said...

Hi, Science Geek. Actually, 2 yrs. ago my doctor suggested I had gluten and dairy intolerances. After 4 days not eating it, my brain fog totally lifted! This sent me to research the subject at great length. I found that so many of the common symptoms/ailments and diseases people suffer from, are either caused by or aggrevated by eating them. I took my 3 kids off gluten and dairy, and watched their various symptoms either leave or improve dramatically. If you want a lab test to "prove" intolerance, try www.enterolab.com They also have some good articles on there about all this stuff. No MD Rx needed for their stool testing either. Holler if you need more info. : )

Anonymous said...

Would you mind sharing what your symptoms were 2 years ago, when your doctor suggested the intolerances?